I know that Christmas is behind us, and all that most of us are thinking about is spending less, eating less and exercising more. (No… just me? Righto then.) But we’d be lying if we said we were going to stop spending altogether, right? Why not make that spending as pleasurable for the store as it is for you?!
This year, I’d love to introduce you all to some of my favorite shops, both online and locally on the Sunshine Coast. Supporting local and small business is supporting continued growth, prosperity and healthy competition, as well as providing local entrepreneurs and business owners (real people, not giant companies) with continued cashflow. Not only are you more likely to find something unique but it really does feel awesome to to shop small and support these people who are trying to make a living doing what they love!
This month, my blog will be getting a long-overdue facelift (yes, from a local small graphic design business), and I’ll enjoy hanging out here and writing so much more when it’s all pretty and tidy. Along with sorting the the aesthetic side of the blog, and my irregular random thoughts (blogger/oversharer = same/same), I’m hoping to showcase fabulous stores and businesses each week, so if you know of a small Australian-owned business which you think I’d love, let me know!
Now, to my first little round-up of small biz awesomeness.
1. Dew & Rose teal crystal stud earrings
– These oversized teal crystals in a simple rose gold setting aren’t just the perfect accessory, they come beautifully packaged and ready for gifting. Dew & Rose supports girls’ education through partnering with One Girl onegirl.org.au, so you’re really giving the gift that gives twice. Winning!
2. H&G Designs black grid mood board
– Getting organised for the start of the school, uni or work year never looked so good, with this black wire mood board to display current projects, goals, ideas, photo’s, design objects and memos. The suede straps to hang are super-cute too!
3. The Hello Workshop 2017 desk calendar
– Still on the organisational theme, this quirky desk calendar has more than a little nod to the fun-lovin’ 80’s, with bright pastels in geometric designs.
4. MinPinShop Grumpy mood ring
– This sterling silver mood ring is definitely the grown-up version of a piece of jewelry you might have worn as an angsty teen. With other mood options available too, you could fill your fingers and really confuse your friends!
5. Clutch Zuha beaded clutch
– Need a clutch fancy enough for the big events, but also neutral enough to go with every outfit in your wardrobe? The new arrivals to Clutch are all gorgeous, but this tan, ochre and black beaded zip clutch is my pick, the detachable cross-body strap was the clincher for me.
6. Inactive Wear Can’t Even tank
– Created by local genius and all-round sassypants Lauren Jane, Inactive Wear is for the fit and not so fit, who don’t want to take themselves (or their gymtime) too seriously. I’m dying over the Can’t Even, but wait until you check out the Good Fat
or the Gluty Call
designs, they’re too cheeky!
7. Miss Monogram Miss Victoria large pouch
– Sunshine Coast local Natalie Tink recently launched her new personalised accessories line Miss Monogram, and the simple and elegant styles have caught my eye – especially the A4-sized Miss Victoria. In pink, taupe, black or navy (my fave), it’s a classic.
8. Indah Koin Australian 2 cent coin necklace
– I have one of these gorgeous silver necklaces from my husband’s birth year, and I get so many compliments about it – one of these necklaces would make a fabulous gift for a special birthday or anniversary! Indah Koin also have bracelets, bangles and rings.
9. Soak Society rose wellness bath soak
– Another clever local, Natalie decided that she was sick of seeing lurid and bright bath bombs full of all kinds of nasties, and got back to basics with a range of gorgeously-scented products; and has recent;y branched out into beautiful gift packs too. (Don’t worry everyone, I’ll remind you with plenty of time for my birthday, hehe!)
Now head on over to these amazing stores run by incredible people. Let’s all shop small a bit more everyday!
Do you run a small business?